Monday, October 22, 2012

Leon at Last. October 22, 2012

Just arrived in this magnificent city, nearly two thirds of the journey behind me. The last third from Leon to Santiago is considered to be the best part of this long journey.
I am amazed that I have been living out of this backpack for well over four weeks; all my possessions, everything I need, except a roof over my head, is in that backpack. The heaviest bag inside is the one containing all the meds I take, which is getting lighter by the day! We can get by with so much less. I tend to fill my life up with more and more things, perhaps as a way to fill the emptiness or void. Or maybe it is about feeling more secure on the inside when there is so much on the outside. Like the man in today's gospel who kept building more barns that would contain more and more seed, which made him feel secure about his future. But focusing on securing our future through more possessions and investments takes us away from our true source of security: our relationship with Christ, the only Treasure that fills us to the brim and beyond. We are all very "rich" with a treasure beyond price. We seem to be seduced into selling off that "treasure" for treasure that is superficial and will never fill the void.

Yesterday after getting kicked out of that church I wandered around the village finding nothing and no one. I went back to the pension feeling the lowest I have felt since beginning this journey of faith into deeper waters. And then I received a call from a friend and two messages from the blog and my spirits were lifted and renewed. We each have the power to change another person's spirit just with a simple message of care. I want to be a "messenger of joy" to those I meet. One of the pilgrim's gave me one of those rubber wrist band that says "messenger of joy" in French. I thought maybe we could create a similar wrist band for our parish with that same phrase in English, Spanish, and French...the three languages of our parish. We are all called to be witnesses of gospel joy of the beautiful Treasure within: the God of love and of JOY. The world needs gospel joy. Buen camino. I miss you. Padre

15 comments:

  1. Fr. Frank,

    I have never met you, but a friend told me about your camino. I have been captivated by the thought of doing the pilgrimage myself one day, but my state in life at this time does not permit me. Thank you for your beautiful reflections and photos. They are inspirational and obviously come from a deep place of prayer that has come through your surrender to the Way. Know of my prayers for you, that through your yes to go into the deeper waters, Christ will refresh you in ways never before. Buen camino!!

    Tu hermana in Cristo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Father Frank!! I wholeheartedly agree: our true source of security is with Christ, NOT material possessions! I have some wonderful news! I bought a 1997 toyota corolla!!! I will be getting my permit soon!! Then a license!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking of you with Halloween right around the corner. Enjoy the rest of your journey!

    Erica

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, it's hard to believe you've been at this for a month already! I'm glad the worst is behind you. What a wonderful reflection on today's gospel.

    Blessings,
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Fr. Frank,

    HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!! I hope you have the BEST day of your journey with more great ones following!! I'm enjoying your blog - I can't wait to hear more when you return. Keep up the great work! You are an INSPIRATION to all of us!

    We miss you!

    I'm praying my Hail Marys for you - Stay Strong and keep enjoying your Camino Journey!!!!!

    All the Best,

    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday, Fr. Frank!!! Your blog is wonderful.

    Warmly, Christine

    ReplyDelete
  7. ¡Feliz cumpleaƱos Fr Frank! May this special day on your camino be filled with many blessings, much joy, many treasures, and much peace. You have made an amazing amount of progress thus far - way to go! And the end of this part of the journey is in sight. May you enjoy the goodness of your day, and celebrate the gift of your life and the gifts you have shared with all of us. Buen camino! Leigh

    ReplyDelete
  8. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, FR. FRANK!!! We miss you, and we are praying for you.

    Blessings,

    Tony and Laurie D.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Frank,
    Prayers and love as you continue your journey as a messenger of joy.
    Brad

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday, Padre! I think this calls for double
    visits to the candy stores. So enjoying your reflections
    and insights. Continued prayers for this spiritual journey.
    Be well.
    Peace,
    Geneva

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday Fr. Frank!!!

    Amir

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Frank - For all these weeks, I have been thinking of you but did not know how to communicate. How perfect that Linda called last me night and told me about the blog -- and now I can wish you a VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY. Two articles in the New World gave us glimpses of your journey, but your blog has me glued to the screen! Your written word and your actions inspire and strengthen me. How foolish I am to worry about everything! God speed.
    Love, Mary Jo Rice

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Padre - Happy Birthday!!! I hope you are having a lovely day!
    I love the bracelet idea for the parish.
    Walk on...
    love,
    Janet and Dan

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fr Frank

    Happy Birthday! We are impressed by the miles (kilometers) that you have covered. (The motivation effect of a good cause).
    Sorry to read that you have joined the ranks of those who have been "asked" to leave a church.

    We are enjoying the blog and glad to see that you are keeping your sense of humor.

    Take care of yourself ---our thoughts and prayers are with you. We miss you and your homilies.

    John And Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy belated birthday! I hope yesterday was the best day of your journey. Your reflections from your Camino are truly inspiring and thought provoking.

    On Sunday, I was taking the boys to a pumpkin carving party after church and dressed them in their Halloween shirts. I asked Colin, if they were appropriate for mass? One shirt with spiders and the other bats. He said, "yes, I think it's fine. Halloween is Fr. Frank's favorite holiday." It made me smile. Cael asks about you each week at mass. You are in our prayers. We look forward to hearing more about you journey! Miss you!

    Love,

    Amy, Colin, Cael & Koen

    ReplyDelete