Saturday, October 13, 2012

Burgos Spain. Oct 13,2012

Finally arrived in Burgos which is about 180 into this journey. I have thought and prayed much about all of you and continue to say Mass for each letter of the alphabet representing all the households of St. Teresa's. I'm on the G's!!

Sitting inside one of the largest and most beautiful cathedral's, somewhat overwhelmed by all the art, windows and architecture. I have been reflecting on the beauties of our faith: the Eucharist, the feasts, the saints and seasons, the rituals and devotions...and believe that we are meant to enter the mystery and stand outside of it. And entering the mystery of the Eucharist , the liturgical seasons,the lives of the saints means we become transformed...changed. The best of religion compels us to enter and live the mysteries of our faith, especially the paschal mystery of Christ, dying and rising to new life.

One example: I was praying the first mystery of the joyful mysteries of the rosary, which is the Annunciation of Gabriel "announcing" the birth of the Messiah and saying "yes" to becoming the Mother of Jesus and us all. I have prayed this mystery hundreds of times from a distance imagining Mary and the scene. But as I was in my imagination, I noticed bold graffiti like letters painted on the side of the road. These letters spelled out IN ENGLISH : Why Are You Walking? Holy graffiti !! The angel Gabriel was not speaking to Mary as I prayed this joyful mystery, Gabriel was making an annunciation to me drawing me into this mystery In a deeply personal way. The question jarred me into a response to the question that wen much deeper than the reality of the camino.
Through Gabriel God is asking me to bring the messiah into the world...to give birth to His Presence. Being a part of the mystery is compelling me to rethink much.
Cheap religion,like cheap grace (Dietrich Bonhoeffer) always keeps us as spectators, so concerned about the externals we remain unchanged and ultimately lifeless.
As we celebrate this year of Faith, my prayer for out parish is that we become more engaged in the beautiful mysteries of our, drawing others into spiritual transformation. Buen camino. Padre

5 comments:

  1. Go Fr. Frank!!! Sending prayers your way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep up the good work Father Frank!!! I am praying for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey tried email but no reply. We're going to 11:00 Mass at the Cathedral, meeting at 10:45 outside. Would be great if you can join us.
    Laynni

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful post, Fr. Frank. Love the Bonhoeffer reference. Continued prayers for you and your journey. Thanks for the prayers you're sending back to us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Father Frank - Thinking about you often... Can see the light of your soul... Sending you love from Seoul! XOXO, E & E

    ReplyDelete