Tuesday, March 12, 2013

The Conclave Begins. March 12, 2013

Just read a beautiful quote from this morning's Office of Readings in the Liturgy of the Hours: "If God is love, charity should know no limit, for God cannot be confined." This was written centuries ago by Pope Leo the Great. I am about to cheer on the American cardinals as they go to St. Peter's to celebrate a public Mass praying for strength and guidance as they enter the conclave.

This quote is so appropriate for the great task they are being called to accomplish. The next pope will do well to make charity the foundation of his papacy and to remember that God cannot be confined. This is a quote for every follower of Jesus and should be the foundation of our discipleship.

God is forever a mystery to be encountered and in this encounter, we are changed. Our own hearts should never be "confined" by our own ego and selfishness. I carry all of you in my heart for you remind me if my calling and in this remembrance my heart is enlarged.

Along with over 200 seminarians and countless reporters the cardinals have emerged to board the bus that will take them to St. Peter 's for the mass to begin the conclave. As the bus passed,I saw cardinal George and gave him a thumbs up. He returned by giving me the thumbs up sign. I was actually moved to see him and the other cardinals be applauded as they left. Cardinal Dolan from New York personally waved to me; can he work the crowds.
I am standing I along line waiting to get into St. Peter's for the mass. The atmosphere is unbelievably exciting and joyful. I am sensing that there are people from countless nations and walks of life. The many young people gives me a boost of encouragement.

I made it inside the basilica nearly a third of the way from the altar and I have a seat!!! On the aisle!!! Couldn't be better. The mass is called, The Holy Mass For The Election of the Roman Pontiff." After the liturgy the cardinals gather wherever and they will process from the chapel of St. Paul to the Sistine chapel. After they have all entered, the dean of the. College of Cardinals shuts the door of the chapel and locks the cardinals inside, hence, "conclave" meaning "with key."

They will make a solemn oath of secrecy, read the rules of conclave and election process and make the first vote around 5 pm. Unless there is a two-thirds majority, the ballots will be burned in such a way that BLACK smoke billows out of the little chimney pipe extending from the roof of the chapel. Each day there are two votes in the morning and two in the afternoon. They only burn the ballots after the second vote so there are only two times each day for the smoke to be seen. Once a Cardinal received the necessary majority he is asked if he accepts. Once he agrees, he becomes pope and the Cardinals each approach him promising their obedience. The ballots are burned with chemicals to assure that the smoke is WHITE. To avoid any confusion as to the color of the smoke, a signal is given to peal the bells of St. Peter's. A joyful sign that we have a pope.

The head of the cardinals than opens the balcony doors above the main entryway of the basilica and announces , " Habemus Papam", which means "we have a pope."
And then the newly electric pope's name is announced and he is welcomed to the world.

I am giving my limited knowledge of all the proceedings regarding the election of a pope. There appear to be two factions among the cardinals: those who want a status quo candidate but who will address the scandals (these are led mainly by the Italians ) and those who feel we need a fresh new leader to usher in a new enthusiasm for evangelization. I'm praying for cardinal o'malley or cardinal Dolan or the cardinal from brazil or the one from the Philippines. None of my choices has any chance. But I can still dream.

The mass was quiet, beautiful and prayerful. Not a bad combination. Perhaps a good omen for a Spirit-filled conclave. Buen camino. Padre






















1 comment:

  1. Frank,

    I have to thank you for the "dome" pictures, I love them all! Such beautiful architecture and frescos! Keep us posted with some smoke.

    Best,
    Erica

    ReplyDelete