Thursday, March 14, 2013

Habemus Papam. We Have a Pope. March 14, 2013

What a night ! I stood right in the center beneath the window of papal blessing waiting to see the smoke coming out of the chimney stack above the Sistine Chapel as black. We all thought it was going to be a bit longed. But the Spirit had other things in mind.

When the smoke , massive amounts, poured out the chimney as white smoke, we just erupted, screamed, clapped and hugged. An amazing moment that I was privileged to witness, one that will be.forever a part of my own "camino" of faith. While this moment of new leadership in our church means little to so many, it has untold meaning for just as many others. I thought I was going to live through this papal event non plussed , not really caring about its impact. But God had other plans for me. My journey through Spain was meant to end up beneath that window in St. Peter's Square on march 13, 2013.

When the name was announced, all I heard was "francescum" the Latin for "Francis " and my heart and its pessimism melted away; my spirit emerged. I have been dreaming of seeing a pope with a Franciscan heart for most of my priesthood. And a Jesuit to boot!!!!!! This concoction couldn't get any better for me. Somehow I was soaring above the crowd wanting to personally bless the one who asked nearly 200,000people to bless him, a first in papal history.

I know little about him except that he refused to use a limo to get him to work but used public transportation ; he refused to have a cook but cooks his own meals; he refused to life in the bishop's "palace" preferring a simple apartment.; he loves the poor and is a man of justice. This is the best resume a new pope could possibly have.

I am happy he chose the name "Francis " not because that happens to be my name, but because he chose the name of the greatest saint in the Catholic Church. To all my beloved Jesuit friends , the Francis he chose does NOT refer to
Francis Xavier , the famous Jesuit saint! That was made clear by the Vatican this morning. He chose the poor one from Assisi as his namesake.

I am filled with joy for the people of Argentina and for the entire Church. A breath if fresh air has filled the Body of Christ with the Spirit of Hope. Will everyone be as happy as I am at the election of Pope Francis? Obviously not. But I hope all will at least give him a chance and pray for his mission. I know many will be thinking that I am setting myself up for a major letdown. But I truly don't think so.

Ironically I planned a week retreat in Assisi beginning on march 20 long before Benedict even resigned. This was to wrap up my sabbatical. I leave for my retreat the day after Francis is installed as our new Pope, which is March 19, the Feast of st Joseph, patron of Italy and the Universal Church. This day is traditionally a Holyday in all of Italy. In honor of the Holyday and pope Francis and st Francis and the people of st Teresa of Avila parish, the best people in the world ... I am going to fill up on pasta and canolis!! How I wish I had some Peeps to complete the moment. Buen camino from cloud nine. Padre


















7 comments:

  1. Father Frank, thank you for your continued blogging! I share your joy about the new pope and your hopefulness too. Can't wait to see you back in Chicago and hear all about this amazing experience. I was thinking about your as I watched the coverage while waiting for our new pope to emerge. I knew you would be there and I wish I could have been in that crowd!! Thanks for sharing you pictures and perspective.

    On another note, are there no peeps in Italy??? Steve and I will hit the store and get you some so you don't miss out!!!


    Anmarie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hola Fr Frank,

      I was so thrilled to read of your(blog)dream for a Pope who was a man of the people, especially those less fortunate and then to have witnessed the process of this special man being delivered to us. How wonderful that you were actually in the Vatican at this time, still on your Camino and blessed to be associated on so many levels, your name, Assisi, your timing in Italy. There would never be a better time or place for your sebatical.

      Thinking of you at this time and hope you are keeping warm on the outside as well as the inside Frank.

      Take good care of yourself.

      Buen Camino Amigo,

      Gay Ford.














































      Delete
  2. Fr. Frank,

    I came to your Blog via a parishioner who is a dear friend. If you are going to Avila, I am assuming have St. Theresa 69 Spiritual Maxims. They are quite simple in form and amazingly deep in content. I haveincluded a few included them below.

    1. Untilled ground, however rich, will bring forth thistles and thorns; so. also, the mind of man.

    2. Speak well of all that is spiritual, such as religious, priests, and hermits.

    3. Let thy words be few when in the midst of many.

    4. Be modest in all thy words and works.

    5. Never be obstinate, especially in things of no moment.

    48. Keep in mind they past life and present lukewarmness, to bewail them, and what is still wanting to thee for thy going into heaven, that thou mayest live in fear, which is a source of great blessings.

    69. Let thy desire be the vision of God, thy fear the loss of Him, thy sorrow His absence, and thy joy in that which may take thee to Him; and thy life shall be in great peace.


    Please forgive me if I have clogged your email. Enjoy your final days

    JOhn F. Ormsby

    jformsby@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cant help but remember a previous entry where your wish was for a Pope who would wash the feet of the homeless. I think your pray was answered! Gob bless Pope Francis and you Father Frank. It is going to be a sad day when I can no longer read your blog. Hopefully your sermons will be posted.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Fr Frank, I am an Australian who met you at Zubiri on the Camino last year. I'm very interested to hear that you are in the Sant'Egidio church because I met some of the Sant'Egidio community in Antwerp, Belgium in November last year. I just added a comment about this, but I put it on the previous post by mistake.
    If you get any information about Sant'Egidio, I would be very interested. My email is
    paulmgilchrist@hotmail.com
    Thank for keeping on with this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Fr Francis,
    Thanks for your insights. I share your hopes that we will have a Church focused on the
    Poor. Blessings for safe travel.
    Tom & Myrna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Fr Frank - I didn't realize that your blog was continuing after the camino. It sounds like you have continued your camino and have had some amazing experiences. Looking forward to reading more.
    Laynni

    ReplyDelete