Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Anniversary. February 4, 2013

I had the privilege of celebrating mass at the clementine chapel over the bones of St. Peter. I brought to the celebration family, friends , the people of st Germaine , st Mary of Vernon , st Francis of Rome, our lady of the woods, archbishop quigley, St. John fisher, st Eulalia , st Teresa of Avila and my mom.
These are the people and students who have formed me as a priest. The priesthood is rooted in the call to love and serve God's people.

I have been a richly blessed priest given these beautiful communities of faith. Twenty nine years of trying to lead the people to a deeper love of Christ. Ironically, it is the love from people that has moved me forward and deepened my love for Christ.

At the mass, the gospel tells the story of Jesus healing a man who is do grateful he wants to stay with Jesus. But Jesus will have none of that. He tells the man to go home and tell people what has happened.
Jesus does not cling to us, nor does he want us to cling to him. We are "sent" to tell the story in our own unique way drawing people into the story so that they can encounter The Lord who will in turn send them.

Each one of us, sharing in the priesthood of Christ through our baptism, is being sent into the world. The best part of being a priest is sending people into the worlds in which they live to tell the story of Christ in a way that can be received. This demands prayer and study and worship to prepare us for the demands of being a follower of Jesus.
The most alive parishes are those that send people into the world to make a difference and to be a witness of gospel joy. As a parish community , religious education is not for just the children, but is especially for all of us adults. We ALL need continuing formation in the ways of the gospel.
At this point in my ministry I have been sent to the people of st Teresa of Avila. Today, cardinal George came to Rome for several meetings so I was able to have lunch with him, three Chicago seminarians and another Chicago priest. He asked me about the parish and our plans for the church. He said he was very happy for us as a parish community that we were alive and moving forward. It is the greatest gift for the bishop to say that your parish is alive and has a future.
Thank you ALL for showing me the way. Mom...I know you are smiling. Buen camino











No comments:

Post a Comment