Wednesday, November 7, 2012

On the Threshold of the Cathedral: Santiago November 7, 2012

We were dreading there in amazement as the twin towers of the massive cathedral fell gracefully into our vision. Mouths were open and eyes swelled with tears. We made it through every kind of imaginable weather and terrain; your Hail Marys carrying us step by step.

I wanted to say a Mass at this point of entrance and so I did. A small gathering of the church stopped in the middle of an entrance to a school and prayed. I took out the hosts, wine, a small chalice and celebrated Mass with the I Phone providing all the texts and readings.

What a gospel : Jesus teaching us the cost of discipleship : the renouncing of possessions and even treasured relationships for the gospel. We let go and stop clinging to things and people, including our children , parents , spouses and friends... so that God is at the center of our hearts. When the Divine Dwelling of God's Spirit is in the center if our hearts, we receive everything we need.

What. Journey, a pilgrimage, we all are on as we struggle to let God into our hearts, surrendering to his plan...his will...his Love. It is all about letting go and surrendering to Christ who always leads us into the heart of the Trinity.

I just returned from my visit to the inside of the massive cathedral. Surprisingly, I felt embraced and close to this God who wants it all...who wants US all do passionately that he won't give up on us. Never. He will pursue us into the depths of our loneliness and desperation until we just give in to Absolute Love.

This pilgrimage is the church at her very best ; welcoming all on the path, mile after mile, until this massive throng of humanity is enveloped by this massive cathedral. God wrapping his arms around us, reassuring us of the goodness of our humanity.

This pilgrimage was the hardest thing I have ever done in my life. Yes, it was beautiful and awesome, a gift given to so few given the extreme time commitment; but it was painful and relenting. The purpose of pilgrimage is to allow our broken hearts to be fully exposed so that God can heal hurts and wounded memories that only God can heal. This pilgrimage opened up my brokenness which was not very pleasant.

Now that the physical "way" had been accomplished, the true effects of this journey begin. I must let go and return home or this camino de Santiago will have been totally futile and pointless.

In a future reflection I will quote in full a prayer written by someone named "Fray". It is along prayerful reflection that had something to say the everyone. It is time to sleep and allow the pilgrimage to begin to take root. Buen camino. Padre.

7 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your successful Camino! I always knew you would make it. Now time to rest, relax and regroup. It's too bad that we couldn't meet up again in Santiago but Portugal was calling our names. Enjoy Santiago, Finisterre and Muxia and maybe we will see you in Chicago sometime.
    Laynni

    ReplyDelete
  2. May God continue to bless you on the remaining days of your journey. What an amazing blessing this is for you...and us. Your St. Teresa's family misses you. You look great! And what you're experiencing is astonishing. We can't wait for you to share IN PERSON. Love and blessings! --cindy patrasso

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did it what an acomplishment!!! You look great What an honor to say mass for everyone.wuwho did it
    Love and best to you Pammy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoyed this Blog immensely quite inspiring. Congrats to you !!!So proud of your acomplishment.

    Love and Peace Pammy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations, Fr Frank. You might not remember me, but I am the Australian who met you at Zubiri right at the beginning of your Camino. I am in Santiago at the moment but I am leaving this morning so unfortunately we won´t be able to meet up again. Your blog has been inspiring reading for me, and I hope you have the time to keep doing it!!!
    Paul the Australian

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for taking the time for our chat today. Your inspiring words helped me to find some peace and heal some of the 'hurts' and 'wounded memories' I will be taking your advice and exploring the gospels when I return home to begin my journey. Sam

    ReplyDelete