Monday, November 12, 2012

Cathedral Confession. November 12, 2012

When the camino began so many centuries ago, one of its purposes was penitential: to make this long journey out of sorrow for personal sinfulness. The journey was to be difficult and challenging, a way to visibly show God that you were sorry for your sins.

The path is no less difficult and challenging today, even if the reality of penance had been lost. Much of the camino has lost its anchor and foundation in the catholic faith; it has become a secular experience rooted in a spirit, holy or human. The churches were largely closed tightly shut with not much of a presence from the Church. So much for the Year of Faith.

In the gospel today, Jesus speaks of forgiving seven times another person, provided the person is sorry for the sin. How difficult it is to forgive when webs d been wronged, especially if the wound runs deep. Forgiveness becomes more possible when we ate able to look at ourselves squarely in the mirror of truth and admit our own sinfulness. Walking through the cathedral I stumbled upon a priest in a confessional and the mirror of self truth was there before me. I thought I could get out of by saying, "hablas ingles?" thinking he would say no. He spoke fluent English. I knelt down and began the ritual of seeing myself as truthfully as possible, admitting how I have walked away from the path of Life.

The priest was a beautiful and kind man who clearly was an instrument of God's mercy. His words of encouragement gave me renewed hope. What a powerful way to end the camino, on a note of God's mercy. What a glorious song it is!

In my camino, my own past came home to haunt me during those quiet hours of walking. Things buried deeply are bound to surface which to me is one of the main points of the journey. We can't change if we don't truly know who we are and how we have hurt others, exhibited selfishness, held grudges, gossiped, let jealousy and envy take hold of our hearts and the list goes on.

I walked away from the priest with new resolve and sanctifying grace which frees us to become the human being God wishes is to become. Forgiveness begins with our ability to face God and say "I'm sorry" ...our God who forgives and forgives and forgives. Buen camino. Padre


5 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Fr. Frank. It was so nice to see you yesterday after mass on the big screen and I look forward to seeing you when you get home. Brad

    Hi Fr. Frank, what beautiful words you have written throughout your journey. I have so enjoyed reading your entries and reflections. It sounds like this journey has been so instrumental for you. I am happy to hear that. It was so nice to 'see' you yesterday at St. Teresa's after Mass. You are truly missed and I cannot wait to have you back home. Looking forward to seeing you in person. Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou Fr Frank for continuing to inspire with your wise and humble words of truth. Indeed the Camino has been a lost opportunity for our church to gather in those souls who are either lost or looking.....or not looking at all. Perhaps you will have inspired other holy men/women to have the courage and conviction to walk and talk also and maybe soon the doors of our churches will indeed be open and welcoming to all who walk the 'way'. Buen Camino at home, Gay Ford

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so grateful to have you in my life, father Frank!!!! I had to giggle at reading how you tried to get out of confession by assuming the other priest didn't speak English! I am grateful that you were able to receive hope from him! Change is constant. I look forward to your return to St. Teresa's!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was a great gift to walk with you on the Camino. walking with you always made the path easier. You are an amazing Priest and friend. God Bless!!!
    Barry

    ReplyDelete
  5. Father Frank, this is a wonderful vistory for you, all the friends you made along the way and for all of us here who are with you in spirit and communion. Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete