Friday, January 4, 2013

Language Barrier. January 5, 2013

I can't seem to get the French language. The pronunciation is awkward and the way I hear the language causes me to have this blank look on my face. But this language barrier is overcome by my love of the people and culture which are both very new to me.
Oh how I wish I had someone from our French community with me showing the way. But despite feeling lost, the people have been wonderful and very friendly. There is no barrier in a smile or comical hand gestures. There is no barrier to just wanting to help even if the message can't be communicated in so many words.

The French are friendly and warm people. They have gone out of their way to welcome me, from the information people at the airport to the taxi driver and store clerk who took the time to make sure I was ok.
Yes, I found a Starbucks and out of habit ordered a tall double cup coffee. The young lady proceeded to pour me two separate cups of coffee. When I tried to explain what I meant we both just smiled and laughed. I said "Au voir" and she said "goodbye," with a nice smile.
No barrier when people care. Buen camino. Padre.





No comments:

Post a Comment